Friday 5th January 2007

Since we know you were wondering, we made a video to show you how garbage is taken care of here in Fengyuan. When you hear the musical truck coming, it’s time to grab your trash and head out to the street! The first truck is for general garbage and the second is for recycling. We actually had bags for trash and recycling today but Ben got flustered knowing he was on camera and ditched them all the trash truck. I hope that’s not a punishable offense here, especially now that I’ve exposed him online! The garbage comes every day at 4 p.m. except Sunday and Wednesday, when it doesn’t come at all. We still don’t know how people who work away from home during the day get rid of their garbage. There aren’t any dumpsters that we’re aware of, but we never see our fellow building-mates out during trash time either.
You’ll find a picture of Taiwan’s recycling symbol above. It was taken off a jar of peanut butter, which Ben is very grateful that they sell here. Ben says he likes Taiwan’s symbol better because the arrows going in (colored) and out (whitespace) are more representative of recycling than the US’s “pot stirring” symbol. I love how pro-recycling this place is! You can’t find a garbage can without a recycling bin sitting right next to it. Many stores will charge you for a plastic bag as an incentive to bring your own bags from home. I think this is brilliant!
One last thing and I’ll finally close this subject: I wonder if Taiwanese who move to the US are grossed out when they see salivating children running towards our musical neighborhood-touring trucks?

8 Responses to “Bye-Bye Dirty Diapers!”

1. Jackie says:

Love all of your videos and pictures! Violet is such a cute baby. If you have a a chance, try out Taiwan’s newest High Speed Rail. They are having a half-priced grand-opening promotion till Jan 19th. It takes about only an hour to travel from Taichung County to Taipei County!!

2. Vickie (Grammy) says:

That’s okay, Ben, about the recycling bag going in the garbage. It’s not as bad as what I put in the garbage one time! Mom

3. jill says:

very interesting way of notifying you that the garbage man is coming! everytime i hear that tune i instinctively think of ice cream. i’d better not move to taiwan. good for taiwan being so pro-recycling! too bad we can’t be better about it in the usa.

4. Gramma Nobles says:

Talk about recycling…have you ever heard of freecycling? I just read about it yesterday. Check out http://www.freecycle.org. If you have something you want to get rid of, instead of throwing it away, you advertise for someone to come and get it! There are groups all over the world.

5. Kathryn Horn says:

I finally got to a computer with amazing high speed internet (Jason and I hopefully will have this super alien technology soon)The videos are all cool. I especially enjoyed the icecream truck like music that goes along with trash pick up. It makes taking out the trash much more jolly! We miss you and cannot wait to see you both and Violet!

6. Lindsay says:

Hey! That was a fun blog, although I always enjoy reading your posts! My first thought seeing the peanut butter jar was that it looked kinda like a swastika! and who uses those? recycling nazis. haha. i know, that was a TERRIBLE joke. but anyways, then when i noticed the white arrows as well i was way impressed. i’m not sure what movies yall were able to take in before you left, but the opening credits of Casino Royale reminded me of Ben- they were AMAZING! okay, well that’s enough. (Belated Congrats, by the way!) adios! -L

7. Holly says:

Hey friends, that was a fun post. I have not left you a comment in awhile. It has been wonderful to talk to you guys though! Violet just keeps getting more beautiful. I can not wait to hold her! Love and miss you.

8. Sharon Hearnsberger says:

Wow! She’s so beautiful! I just watched the Christmas video. It’s so awesome, it brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you guys! What a great year–and life–lies ahead for each of you individually and together as a family. Best to you all, Sharon