Sunday 14th January 2007

I belong to an ever growing number of Yahoo! groups, most of which are related to adoption. It was in one of these groups that I met Rhonda, a native New Zealander and fellow adoptive mom who has lived here in Taiwan for several years. Months ago, before we left the US, Rhonda offered to meet us and show us around once we got here. Unfortunately it took us 6+ weeks to take her up on her offer! I’m glad we did; we had so much fun!
Rhonda picked us up at our apartment and took us to a local park where her older son likes to rollerblade. This park also had a very large man-made fish pond that you’ll see in the video. From there we went out to explore the sensory-rich Taichung Harbor Fish Market. After that, Rhonda and her husband invited us back over to their place for a very delicious meal of seafood and barbeque.
While we were at Rhonda’s eating dinner a friend of their’s who is also from New Zealand came over. We were all sitting around talking about the local cuisine when the friend said there was one drink, dan mi zhi, that we must try before going back home. He explained that the drink was made up of “roareg” and honey. I impulsively blurted out that I didn’t know what “roareg” was, thinking it was probably some kind of grain or wheat germ I had never heard of. Everyone had a laugh. With as many countries as I’ve been in and as many different accents I’ve heard English spoken in you’d think I’d recognize “raw egg” when I heard it. Oops! We are in fact planning on trying this drink before we leave. We’ll let you know how it goes!

8 Responses to “Aquatic Adventure”

1. Ann says:

Sounds like you are all having the time of your life. Hopefully you’ll be able to bring that beauty of yours home very soon

2. Becca says:

Ahh! Fun video! Glad ya’ll are having good times…Ben hope I’m the first to wish you a happy early birthday! May it be wonderfully exciting! Love you three!

3. jason & kathryn says:

hey, can’t wait for you guys to get back.
    kathryn looks forward to holding Violet.
    i’m scared i will break her but i will give it a shot.
    kathryn asures me that won’t happen.
    see you soon.
    Horns

4. Heather, Daniel and kiddos says:

Why does it not surprise me that Bethany would pick the biggest octopus to eat?!?!?! You are always up for something different to eat girl!! And I agree with everyone below that you are brave! If we ever go for octopus you can have mine!! :) Miss you guys and can’t wait for you to come home!!!!!!!

5. Vickie (Grammy) says:

Wow, guys, what an adventure you are having! Enjoy every minute.
    PS. Violet is beautiful. Give her a big kiss from Grammy.

6. Kelly says:

Wow, Bethany. I agree with Holly…you’re infinitely more brave than I am! And Ben, nice job on the video. I sort of felt like Lavar Burton was going to show up at the end of it. :-) Love y’all! Can’t wait for you to come home!

7. Holly says:

Bethany that was so gross, I can’t believe you ate that. You are so much braver than I am. That was fun to watch though. I still miss you guys tons and was really ready for a video! Love you kids.

8. Mom Nobles says:

Neat video! Dad wants to see Ben eating some of that octopus! Have a great week! Love, Mom